Home » , , » Pumpkin (Ugwu) Leaves Sauce

Pumpkin (Ugwu) Leaves Sauce

Written By Helen Nneka Okpala on Monday 10 April 2017 | April 10, 2017

Click here to view the University of Nigeria Nsukka website
Telfaria occidentalis a leaf populary known as Fluted Pumpkin or Ugwu is an African tropical vine planted in Nigeria, normally the easter part of the country. Ugwu is a rich source of dietary fibre and is also increases blood volume and boost immune system. Telfaria spp is also helpful in treating Sudden Attack of Convulsion, Malaria and Anaemia. Pumpkin leaves contain a healthy amount of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron, while still staying very low on the calorie front....
Read more>>>
Many people prepare ugwu leaves in different ways and you can be inventive in your own way of preparation. I learnt this recipe from my elder sister some years back and I tried it for my hubby last week and he so much enjoyed it. I served it with boiled yam and stew. Now the recipe:
Ingredients

1.       Some shredded ugwu leaves (enough to serve three persons).
2.       One large bulb of onion (chopped)
3.       Two pieces of yellow pepper or any other fresh pepper
4.       One cooking spoonful of vegetable oil
5.       Two tablespoonfuls of grounded crayfish
6.       One stock cube
7.       Salt to taste

Procedure

1.       Add the vegetable oil in a pot over low heat and when the oil is a bit hot, add the chopped onions and stir until the aroma enters the oil.
2.       Grind the pepper and add and stir for one minute
3.       Add the grounded crayfish and one maggi cube and continue stirring
4.       Add a little water and cover the pot for about five minutes.
5.       Add the shredded ugwu leaves and after two minutes, add salt to taste and your sauce is ready after another two minutes. Always be careful not to overcook your ugwu so as not to lose the nutritional contents.

NB: You can serve with white rice, boiled yam, potatoes or eat just that way. Enjoy!
We need your comments above | http://www.helensfood.com
SHARE

About Helen Nneka Okpala

Hello! My name is Helen Nneka Okpala (nee Eke), and you are welcome to my blog. I love cooking food as much as I enjoy the eating. I am Igbo by tribe, and fell in love with cooking when I was in my teens. Meanwhile, I am a graduate of Botany/Library and Information Science, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. You can reach out to me here: helenzfood@gmail.com. Twitter: @helensfood

0 comments :

Post a Comment