Peppered Chicken Claws and Gizzard

Written By Helen Nneka Okpala on Sunday 28 January 2018 | January 28, 2018


Peppered Chicken Claws and Gizzard

It is observed that a good number of people do not like eating chicken feet or claws. You serve them a plate of whole grilled chicken and  they end up leaving the claws for you. In my family, everyone enjoys chicken claws, especially my 3 year old daughter. Last week, I thought of doing peppered snail, but my customer couldn’t deliver, so I remembered I had some chicken claws and gizzards in the freezer. I then resorted to spicing them up for the Sunday, and guess what? It came out juicy and tasty. The pictures were earlier posted on Facebook after which I promised to upload the recipe here. But before that, I researched on the health benefits of chicken claws, especially after one of my Facebook friends expressed her dislike for chicken claws. I looked up this site and found the following health benefits:

  1. Contains collagen which helps to maintain health skin, helps the body to absorb calcium and proteins, helps in lose weight, etc.
  2.  Reduces the risk of brittle bones
  3.  Aids in healing injuries
  4.  Helps in digestion
  5.  Improves immune system, etc.


Gizzards on the other hand, are a good source of vitamins, minerals and macronutrients.
Here we go with the ingredients and recipe:

Ingredients
  1.  Some chicken claws and gizzards. I used eight claws and three gizzards
  2. Two fresh tomatoes. I used Derica red tomatoes
  3.  Four balls of fresh red pepper
  4.  One stock cube. I used Maggi Naija Pot
  5.   One ball of green pepper
  6.  One bulb of onion
  7.  Groundnut oil for frying and sauteing
  8.  Salt to taste

Procedure
  1. Season the chicken claws and gizzard and cook till a bit tender
  2.  Fry the claws and gizzards in oil and set aside
  3. Pour a little vegetable oil in a frying pan
  4. Add onions and sauté
  5. Dice the tomatoes and add, then stir
  6. Continue stirring till the tomatoes get tender and a bit dried
  7. Dice the red and green peppers and add
  8. Saute for about 5 minutes, then add stock cube and continue stirring
  9.  Add salt to taste
  10. Add the Chicken claws and gizzards and carefully stir to blend the together with the ingredients
  11. On low heat, pour a little water into the mixture and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes as you continue to stir
  12. The water will blend the taste of all the added ingredients together and ensures that the ingredients penetrate into the chicken
  13.  Ensure the green and red peppers remain fresh and not change colour.
  14. Turn off the heat after 3 minutes and it’s ready!
  15. You can serve with white rice or serve a snack to your visitors, with a bottle of wine to go.










We need your comments above | http://www.helensfood.com
SHARE

About Helen Nneka Okpala

Hello! My name is Helen Nneka Okpala (nee Eke), and you are welcome to my blog. I love cooking food as much as I enjoy the eating. I am Igbo by tribe, and fell in love with cooking when I was in my teens. Meanwhile, I am a graduate of Botany/Library and Information Science, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. You can reach out to me here: helenzfood@gmail.com. Twitter: @helensfood

0 comments :

Post a Comment